Most forms of giving require a habit to be developed or our continual attention. Leaving a Will on the other hand does not require continued effort. As a society we don’t like talking about what happens when we are gone. We at Rural Ministries are no different. However we do get asked about how people can leave money to us when they die so it is important that we talk about the issue. 

The only way to leave money to us when you die is to include the appropriate provision in your will or a codicil. A codicil is a document sometimes used to make minor changes to a will rather than making a completely new will. A will or codicil will only be enforceable if they meet strict criteria and so it is always advisable to consult a solicitor. Indeed your solicitor will be able to advise on how best to carry out your wishes and how they will affect any other provisions in your will or codicil. 

The two types of gift you can make to Rural Ministries are by:

1. Legacy - a specific item (i.e. a painting or piece of furniture) or a particular cash sum.

2. A share of residue. A share of residue is the the balance of your estate after paying all expenses and legacies. When leaving a legacy or share of residue to Rural Ministries please advise your solicitor of our registered charity number (200027) and indicate how you would like the gift to be used.

Many legacies are left for “general purposes” which means we can use the gift as we see fit. You may however want to benefit a particular project but when writing your will please check with us first to make sure your objective can be carried out.

If you would like to talk to us about making a legacy then please give us a call on 0845 600 6788.

Thank you.